1. FIBER: The blending process does not extract nutrients and water the same way juicing does. Instead, it grinds up entire fruits and vegetables, which includes fiber and all. This will allow you to blend thicker kinds of vegetables, ones that may not work so well in a juicer. The end result is a smoothie which can fill you up for longer stretches of time. Adding ingredients that are loaded with nutrients can also make your smoothie an adequate substitute for a meal. Fiber remains in a smoothie, although the fact that it becomes blended does make it a little easier to digest. It also does not come with the potential spikes in blood sugar that are common in juicing.
2. ANTIOXIDANTS: Fiber isn’t the only thing present in fruit and vegetable pulp. A 2012 study compared the presence of phytochemicals — antioxidant compounds with potential anti-cancer properties — in grapefruit juice versus blended grapefruits. The researchers found that the blended fruit had a higher concentration of the beneficial compound because that compound is primarily found in the fibrous membranes of the fruit.
3. LESS SUGAR: Blending doesn’t spike your blood sugar as much as juicing. Fiber is one great way to lower the glycemic index of a food. Juicing eliminates just about every shred of fiber, while blending does not. By the way, you’re about to reinvent your idea of fiber intake when you see the video later in this post.
4. LESS WASTE: Blending produces less waste. Blending just about every little thing except the shell of my brazil nuts. So the only thing I really need to clean after blending is the BPA-free blender jar itself, and the spatula I use to scrape every last bit of goodness out of the blender.
5. SUPERFOODS!: Blending allows you to easily consume superfood cocktails. Let’s face it: superfoods like chlorella, maca, spirulina, cacao, goji berries, chia seeds, flax seeds and protein powder are hard to eat with your hands out of a ziplock bag. Dumping these kind of things into a blended smoothie makes it far easier to deliver boatloads of nutrients to your body.
Comments will be approved before showing up.